Monday, April 16, 2007

Full Circle

O…M….G. Love Gutter reunion show - June 9th!!! Details to follow. I hope I remember how to play a guitar! I already placed a call to my 14-year old nephew, David, who plays in a metal band in central NJ, to see if I could borrow back my bass and amp for a while. When my 7-year old heard the news, he cheered, “You’re getting the band back together? Yeah!! I can’t wait to tell my friends!” I hope he doesn’t. Sure, I can play the standard 3-5 chords in a punk song on rhythm guitar, and play very basic bass - but put me up against other musical moms and dads in the city (or nearly any other musician, period) - Chuck Treece, Leaiana, Matt M. from Scram!, or Rich Kaufman - well, I completely suck, or a little less self-degradingly, pale in comparison.

Mini-Me #1 next asks if he can do a song with the band. A “veteran” acoustic guitarist at the age of, oh, pardon me, 7 ½, Declan recently had his first recital where he wowed the crowds at his little, progressive school in town w/ a rendition of the theme from Star Wars on the high E string. This was a departure from the standard first piece, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and completely D.’s idea. Imagine my surprise that a child of mine would stray from the mainstream...(insert hint of sarcasm here). I do laugh because where Boy Wonder and I share this surfer-like quality of “wherever life takes you”, and I, too, was a rather easy-going young one - well, Mini-Me #2 is just, so…..Not.

I chalk this up to her getting more of the Long Island genes vs. the upstate NY genes, although there are varying levels of differing opinions on this. Either way, I give thanks to Clairol, Redken, Dr. Hauschka and Origins - for allowing me to hide the scars of surviving the past 4 years with the most pint-sized, type-A gymnast and future attorney. My friend Pete summed it up at the baseball field Saturday when hearing that Zoe Ramone is going to summer camp w/ Declan and said, “I hope those woods are ready for all that personality coming their way!” He’s right on the mark - knowing this kid, not only will she insist that she can stomp in the creek in her red, Dorothy shoes, but she’ll wear them well and proudly, leaving the counselors wearily waving the white flag.

Oh yeah, life is coming at us full circle right about now. After about 20 years or so, we are leaving downtown Philly and moving out west, well - 35 blocks west. Geez - right back where we both started, though Jason and I didn’t know each other back then. West Philly will certainly be a departure from where we are now, but we’re looking forward to more space but still the understanding and appreciation for urban living, even philosophically. House hunting was fun out there, “Hey kids, see that house? That’s where mom/dad lived and….(insert hushed mumbles and whispers of illegal substances, good friends, sex, lots of beer, and other crazy times and goings on)......wow, that was a long time ago!” Then we feign a little chuckle about the kids’ potential for future house parties and other-enhanced romps through our soon-to-be neighboring green park and hatch to the roof.

Ah, yes, the house parties days. Brings back memories. When my parents used to go see shows in Atlantic City or wherever, we’d throw these awesome house and pool parties. And now, well, now we’re the ones driving down to….Atlantic City….to see Devo, the B-52’s, and….oh, geez…..we’ve officially become our parents. What to do? Guess not much. Circle of life. Full freaking circle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home